Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Travelin' Thru

I watched Elizabethtown last night and while I still don't like Orlando Bloom, and the movie is not my favorite CC film, it did make me want to go on a road trip. The only thing I have planned in the near future is the trip to The O.C. (Maryland) with Ali in August. We always have a fun time in the car full of awesome mix CDs, digital cameras, coffee, and lots of laughing. Other than that, there is not much going on (except for my ever present offer to be a certain person's travel buddy to New England.)

But looking backwards leads to some fond memories:

*Summer of 1995 when I got to go to Vermont with my cousin who was 23 at the time (I was 15.) I remember the car ride was full of INXS and Nirvana and PB+J sandwiches to save money. Vermont was awesome once we got there and it was, looking back, one of those awesome summers that I will always remember.

*Florida with the fam in 1993 (?). My brother graduated from Navy bootcamp in Orlando, FL so we went to it. Had it been in Idaho or somewhere boring, I bet we would not have gone but we got to use his government status to stay at a swanky resort for super cheap. We drove there: Virginia to Florida and it wasn't that bad. I do remember bringing all of my school work with me, like I thought any of it would get done. My sister listened to Billy Joel's "River of Dreams" nonstop the entire way while I got excited to see Palm Trees and the Hard Rock Cafe. I remember on our way home we stopped to go swimming at Daytona Beach but a storm was approaching and we all hopped in the car and made the ride home sandy...but maybe I'm not remembering that correctly.

*New England with Ali in 2006. Arguably my favorite road trip because I was SO excited to be going up there. We took a million pictures on the way and drank more coffee than should be possible. Ali made the first part of the trip on no sleep because we got up at 3am to leave which is around the time she had been going to bed that week. It was pretty funny because I think she went delirious by the time we got to Mystic, CT.

Places to go on future roadtrips?

*Dollywood

*Chicago

*somewhere completely random. Like the hometown of the biggest cockroach or something.

*Ali and I still need to go "Round Country" (We don't want to go "Cross Country" bc the middle bores us. We want to start and hit the hott places on the outside- Texas, Chicago, Vegas, CA, Seattle, etc.)

6 comments:

dara said...

Road trips should be random.

4 of my friends and I squished into my tiny VW and drove up to New Jersey in January, for the sole purpose of finding the convenience store featured in Clerks.

It was awesome.

Miss Scarlet said...

I agree on random BUT multiple work and school schedules don't always make that possible. I really like the driving parts of trips with my sister. We could plan it out a year in advance and still have the best time:)

minijonb said...

The Vegas road trip in Swingers always makes me want to pack up the car and go nowhere in particular.

Anonymous said...

road trips rule! one of my girlfriends and i did tx to chicago one spring break in college. it was awesome. we built a pathetic snowman on the side of the road at some rest stop somewhere. :)

Katie said...

how about New Orleans? New here, but had to stop by because I totally agree - Judy Blume NEEDS a statue.

Unknown said...

Roadtrips are my absolute favorite. You can imagine this is why it's particularly painful to be without a working vehicle right now. I love discovering those hidden places you didn't expect and having them become your new favorite.