Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Bliss

One of the reasons I've always liked math is that the answer is always going to be the same and unless you're some freak genius, the method of obtaining the answer is always going to be available. There was never that ambiguity shit that english had: "Is so-and-so really talking about a goat here or is it symbolic of his dead mother?" I remember to this day when I told my 11th grade honors english teacher that The Sun Also Rises had no symbolism. I flat out refused to say that the hat the stupid woman wore meant anything. I'm pretty sure I took a year or two off the woman's life with my statement.

For these same reasons are why I detested chemistry yet loved biology. That goat in the poem? It's just a goat. If it's hot outside, it's still a goat. Add some water to it? Just a goat. It's always going to be...a goat. But in chemistry you have, for example*, hydrogen plus oxygen which, as we all know, joins together to make a water molecule. BUT WAIT, say there's some weird acid involved, it won't form water. Too hot or cold? No water for you! I loathed chemistry because there were way too many variables to be aware of.

Seeing as how it's almost 3am and my poor body hasn't seen this hour in some time, I can't even remember why I started writing about math and biology. I know I had a point I wanted to say and originally was going to write something really cryptic just because I just needed to say it somewhere, but ended up writing about math and science...or did I?




*Do not correct me. The day I dropped organic chemistry, second semester is a shining moment in my academic memory. Getting out of that class and promptly forgetting everything I had ever learned in chemistry was a glorious decision.

5 comments:

Beakerz said...

so you're basically like my father in that, you like EXACT answers. "X=Y because of J and K."

Just had a big fight with him about that type of thinking. That he doesn't understand that in my line of work, that isn't always the case. There are so many outlying factors, that to run the odds of things or try to give an exact would be rediculous.

Either way, go play. No school today!

Miss Scarlet said...

Ant- Thanks:) Goats playing instruments? Goats at lunch. Goats playing soccer. LOVES IT!

Needtsza- I'm not like that with everything though. I mean, music isn't like that at all. There are just some situations, er-subjects, where I don't want ambiguity.

minijonb said...

let's put your post down on the couch for some serious dream interpreting, Fruedian freaky, goat symbolism psychoanalysis... or not
=;-)

Anonymous said...

i actually like it when things aren't laid out in an X=Y type fashion. when there's room for interpretation, there's room for bullshitting. and bullshitting is what i do best!!! ;)

Unknown said...

Your reply comment to Needtsza says it all ; )