Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Company Calls


I recently had a new task added to my job responsibilities. For most people, this would have been something that resulted in happy, proud feelings, knowing that you are being trusted with more at work and will have something else to add to the ol' resume. For me, though, it only caused anxiety and I am not exaggerating at all.

With the recent departure of our sales representative, I get to* now make her follow-up calls about current and potential jobs. Luckily, this does not include "selling" the company or required sales quotes that must be met. (If so, I would have quit that day. I don't do that shit AND I would be so bad at it that they would fire me anyway.) It literally is just me calling and asking for the status on jobs. To a normal human being, this would be cake. To a telephonophobic** person, this is a nightmare.

I received word of my new "To Do" two weeks ago and then last week I was taught what to say when I call. I even avoided making the phone calls in my "lesson" because I was adamant in my learning preference style. I said that I learned best by example and not by doing. It worked and I have yet to make a sales phone call.

But now, the time has come where I need to follow up on things. I've spent the last week organizing everything and while, yes, my files are immaculate and my spreadsheets are impressive, at some point I need to actually pick up the phone and dial. I can't make myself do it, though! I don't know how someone could be so insane as to think I could be good at this. And don't give me that bullshit about learning new things and being a team player and doing the responsibilities given to me. Making these phone calls is like if your boss came up to you and said, "Will you pop the zits on my back?" Did you just recoil at the thought? That's how I feel about making these calls.



*It was a toss-up between "get to" and "am being forced to against my will."
**My fear is NOT irrational! Ok, it's not a fear but a intense dislike. I don't have that actual phobia but the name is fun to say.

11 comments:

lala said...

just imagine that every phone call you make has the potential of having a hottie on the other end who will be so entranced by your voice and the conversation that he will begin calling YOU to follow up.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the telephone. I hate having to call the special orders

s

Miss Scarlet said...

Lala- I'd rather he email!

SCD- I refuse to do ones with names I don't know how to pronounce.

Anonymous said...

Was this newfound responsibility given to you at the hands of my wonderful Mother??? Because she should know better....

Miss Scarlet said...

Haha, NO...and PLEASE DON'T TELL HER I WROTE ABOUT IT!:)

Your mom is da bomb.

Unknown said...

The only way I get through phone calls I don't want to make is to think of it as acting. I figure it's the phone...I can be anyone I want to be.

Miss Scarlet said...

I think that's why I hate making them when people can hear me. I can't "act a part."

Cheryl said...

telephonophobic....that is fun to say!

Miss Scarlet said...

Cheryl-I know!

Anonymous said...

scarlet-
I was in a situation just like
yours a few years ago. I found
the calls were easier for me
if I got angry about something first...I know how retarded that must sound, but here's what I did:
I would think of something that would just piss the hell out of me before I started making calls & get myself in a "mad" state of mind.
Then, once I was p.o.'d, it made the calls seem alot smaller, less significant. True, it was sort of like 'acting,' but before I knew it, the calls became easy. I actually got good at it. At the time I guessed people sensed something in my voice, not wanting to give me any crap. Who knows...it worked for me. Hope you get through it, regardless.

Anyway, SYTYCD is on tomorrow...
hoping fake-o Natalie and flatline Ryan get partnered up...also hoping Heidi and Dimitri draw each other - that will be a horn-fest.
Ha, ha.

Beakerz said...

Sounds like a forced to situation.

I hated sales calls and the head of sales for a company. Yea. I stayed long...pffttt

Good luuck!