Pages

Friday, July 28, 2006

Popular

Blogging reminds me more and more of high school everyday. If I had been an English major, or maybe even someone who didn’t vow to never return to the English building after taking her required courses in college, I would name this something like an extended metaphor or something. But I don’t want to sound pretentious (or wrong), so I won’t.

The thing I hated most about high school was the monotony and having to go everyday. I don’t hate the everydayness of blogging, but there is definitely a “build it and they will come” mentality. Whether or not you write for yourself, your blog is online and therefore there for people to come to. If you didn’t want people to read it then you’d write in a diary. I love getting comments on things I’ve written, I’m not going to lie and say I don’t. Each and every e-mail notification of a new comment helps the day at work pass faster. Sometimes, though, I don’t have much to say on here, but still feel like I need to blog for the day. It’s not often I feel “obligated” because I usually have more than enough to say, but every so often I have a dry spell and get worried no one will come back.

Much like the popular kids in high school, there are blogs that are more popular than others. But what makes them popular? Is it their associations and networking that make them so popular like the cheerleaders and star sportsmen in school? The thing about popularity is that oftentimes a person (or blog?) is popular just because a lot of people know them and not necessarily that a lot of people like them. Is the senior cheerleader whom everyone knows actually a well-liked person or is she a total skank and just more visible and out there.



Looking back, I would consider myself to have been popular in high school because I knew a lot of people and was well liked. Like my blog, though, I wouldn’t expect anyone to have picked me out of a crowd* as the Marissa Cooper (pre-drinking/drugs/Volchek) because I’m not as blatantly out there as some people. I do what I do because it’s what I like. I, too, could have been a cheerleader in high school or whatever group is popular, but I did the stuff I wanted to do.

So what is it about the people who are “popular” that keeps people coming back? Now, don’t get your knickers in a bunch because while I could name names, I most certainly am not going to, but know that there are blogs all over the world that perplex me with their popularity. Are they funny? Yeah, sometimes. Do they bring up new ideas? Eh, on occasion. Are they fresh and original and exciting? Not always. Most definitely not always. It’s these same boring blogs, though that are celebrated and loved and I don’t understand why. I’m not looking for false popularity on SVR, please don’t misunderstand me. I’m excited anyone comes back for more and am always grateful for a comment left. I just want to understand blog popularity, especially when seemingly undeserving.



*Except in music stuff. Best Musician superlative, thankyouverymuch! Runner-up for Best Eyes and Hair, but we’re not keeping track, right?

21 comments:

Unknown said...

This is perfect! It fits in perfectly with my theory on blog cliques. I am continually baffled by the fact that certain blogs have so many visitors/comments. Reading a mediocre blog that has moderate popularity confounds me. At the same time, certain blogebrities totally deserve their status, providing a witty or funny word to brighten my day.

Amanda said...

i totally agree with serena. i, too, am baffled by the drivel that gets so much attention. i also, like you, feel compelled to make my contribution each day, or week or whatever. lately i have been writing short observations because i haven't really felt like contributing but feel like i have to! or at least would like to. i was that aloof girl in high school that everyone was kind of okay with but no one considered a close friend. how does that translate into the blog-world?

dara said...

Eh, what can you do? It's all about having a forum to express yourself and connect with others, regardless of scale.

And when you don't like what people have to say, you don't have to read them -- even if everyone else does. Or you can voice your own opinions.

Unknown said...

Dara - I get what you're saying about not having to read them, and trust me...I don't. It's more annoying when they talk in a public setting about how (basically) they're God's gift to blogging. Really? Honestly, I blog for myself. I'm super happy when others read, but I started it as a therapy and will continue it as such ; )

Melissa said...

Well, since I'm one of the ones who gets lots of hits, I can comment on this pretty honestly.

First, I never thought I would get as many visitors as I have. And it really just pops up in waves. I hover around a number for a couple months, then pop up 100 visits, then hover, then pop. I think it's word of mouth.

Second, I think the reason for my popularity is soley because I'm focused on one topic. Occasionally I get off track and bitch about the cops or something, but for the most part, it's all about dating. Good, bad and ugly.

There are a lot of people who wish me harm - hope I get really bad dates, hope I get dumped. That's sad to see, but what can you do?

The final thing I have to say is that at the numbers I now see hit my blog, the crazies have increased. That's the worst part of all of this.

Miss Scarlet said...

Flameon- It's fun to find those witty, fun blogs, isn't it?

Amanda- Aloof could definitely describe me sometimes:)

Dara- Yeah, I started blogging originally just to document the fun times I was having with my friends on a group blog. That was back in the day before comments were anything. I started SVR because I wanted a "venue" change from Livejournal. I consider everyone who reads any of my own drivel and comes back to be an e-friend.

Anyway, sometimes I can't help but read the crappy popular blogs...I think I'm trying to see what other people see in them. But in the end, it's really about the e-friends;) Ha, I'm a dork.

Flameon again- I think we both have other arenas where we've written things just to write it. If it's read, then fine, but if not, that wasn't the sole purpose. Right?

Velvet- Personally, I think you're worthy of a lot of hits. You 'entertain' (I feel weird saying that since it's your life you write about), you're honest, and you don't hide the unpretty stuff. I think it's shitty that people wish bad things for you. Maybe the anonymity makes that easier, I don't know. I wish only the best for you. (And I'd still read about it!)

lala said...

i contribute to the popularity of some blogs...don't know how i started reading them (i guess that might answer your question as to why they become popular) but i do.

some blogs i stumbled upon and enjoyed, and go back to daily because i like them and look forward to what their respective authors have to say.


some, though,don't even excite me, but i still find myself going back to them. i mean, i read the personal blogs of people i don't even know...not because i care, but just because. i hope that people don't read me "just because."

haha about the dry spell...i too worry about the same thing. but then i remember why i do this (bc i need an avenue to write and vent) and think if they want to read me, they will come.

Miss Scarlet said...

Lala- I contribute, too;) Some blogs I read just to see how ridiculous they can be.

rooroo said...

i don't get some rediculously popular blogs either... some though, i think the writer has 1. talent (writing) and 2. a lot of experience to draw from. if i was a super busy new york career/party girl like stephanie or if i had a complicated past like kristy, i'd have a lot more to write about. as far as moderately popular blogs go, i think the bloggers network A LOT. what can you do? for me, i don't write regularly or interestingly, so i don't expect a big response... which was actually similar to my high school experience: i just kept my head down and got through.

RC said...

interesting post, i'm glad i stumbled across your blog, i very much liked the tone of your writing and this "extended metaphor."

There are definitly blogs I've read or seen that are "so not me." and i think who would read this...but people do...other times there's really good stuff no one is reading...

what are we to do?

oh well...it's nice to know that people read our stuff and if we find a strange value or personal entertainment factor in that, then i suppose that's a good thing.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

minijonb said...

i try to be popular with deathly dry humor, deconstruction of memes and obscure musical references... is it working yet? have i won the blogging game? can i go home now???

i love this post, scarlet. you are still my all-star blogging musical director.

now... it's Friday: where the hell is happy hour in cyberspace?

JordanBaker said...

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately--how some blogs are so popular that the author could basically write "I pooped today" and 37 people would comment "hahahahah! You are so right about this! I poop too! Excellent post!"

I still haven't come up with an explanation for it, but it's nice to know that the same thing strikes others as well.

Miss Scarlet said...

Rooroo- I love Stephanie's blog (and book!)

RC- It does surprise me that anyone wants to read mine;)

Minijonb- I'm glad I still have the job. I actually did do some happy hour today, but not in cyberspace. Bust!

Jordanbaker- Who are these magical poopers!?

Thomas said...

Hello from Seattle where gay marriage has just been shot down.

Anonymous said...

Scarlet, it seems to me that from this post about popular blogs, you've managed to attract more random people to comment who've just stumbled upon this blog. So maybe your readers have always been out there, just not commenting as much as on other blogs...
All I know is I love your blog, so you can always count on a comment from me!

Anonymous said...

Funny you wrote this when you wrote it. Recently I've been trying to get my blog more noticed. Ever since I left blogger, things have gone down - but it's not like it was so huge before. Anyway, I look at your blog and it seems like you're a part of a bustling community and you should be proud.

A lot of people just like to watch - and not participate.

As for the blogs with inexplicable popularity, I look at it this way: it's cool that even them have a forum. I think it's cool that I have a forum that even 1 person reads. I'm shocked even.

And if it helps, of all the blogs I've come across, yours is among the best. It's honest and funny and not contrived.

Thanks for the post.

Miss Scarlet said...

Thomas- Um...bust?

Cindy- I love your comments! yay!

Spencer- Wow, thanks! You're so kind.

Anonymous said...

Ant hit on a great point. Anytime I go to a blog that gets a ton of comments per post (above 30 on average), I leave. It's too much. 10-20, then I can take in and participate.

Beakerz said...

I've wondered this as well, because I'm a comment whore and want people to like me.

My blog is an extention of that...it's an extension of self. That's how I view it. So as my blog gains popularity, structure, a voice, a purpose....you will be able to tell that my life is moving in that direction.

Why some people can write about things and be a national star when I write about the same thing and it seemingly goes unnoticed? Lord knows.

Good for the popular kids. I only care because I'd like to start making some money advertising ;)

so keep reading and give me hints of things you'd like to see. lol.

Miss Scarlet said...

Ant and Spencer- That is true now that I think about it. There are a lot of blogs I REALLY like, but it's hard to keep up with the gazillions of comments. And it's nice to get actual interaction.

Miss Scarlet said...

Needtsza- Haha, ok...I'll try to give some feedback. A lot of bloggers do deserve the numbers/comments they get, but there are definitely some shit ones around that are thought of as so great and really, they suck.