Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Sober

I got agitated last night when thinking about the new Muse CD that comes out today. It was 8pm and I wanted it then, dammit! Waiting until today, after work, was not good enough. I felt like a heroin addict waiting for her next fix.

I also tried, unsuccessfully, to get tickets to a show I desperately wanted to go to. Ali and I both had to put it out of our minds as every show within 8 hours was sold out and yes, I would have driven to Atlanta for it.

Around this time, I was talking to Serena online and said how I'm glad I'm not a drinker or drug user because I would be a goner. When I have a bad day, I don't think, "I could really use a drink*", I usually think, "I need to order a CD" or "Mmmmm, an iced caramel macchiato would be SO good right now!" The other day my dad reminded me that I owe him my current payment for the bassoon loan and I said how my work check is delayed. He said something about, "not buying so many CDs then" and I flipped out. I haven't ordered or purchased a CD in months** and was upset because that's like an alcoholic passing the bar on the way home*** without stopping in.

So, even tough I really shouldn't, and ideally should wait at least until I get paid, I'm going to Target on my lunch break to buy this CD. That, along with the Starbucks I got this morning with a rediscovered gift card, is what will get me through this week. (But what will I do when I see the new Thom Yorke CD there, too?)


XO,
SVR


*OK, Sometimes I do but since I am so rarely in a situation when I can fulfill that wish, I don't often use that as my "fix".
**The new Snow Patrol didn't count since we were going to be seeing them. Plus, $9.99 new releases are ok. I HAVE successfully not ordered any CDs in months!
***I'm not trivializing alcoholism or drug use. Just trying to explain my "need".

12 comments:

Kathryn Is So Over said...

You can listen to many new albums here, including the new Muse album (just scroll to the right where you see the album covers).

Not the same as ownership, but it may get you through the lean times.

Miss Scarlet said...

Awesome! Thanks!

CBK said...

I'm listening to the new Muse right now... are you sure that the new Muse isn't the new Thom Yorke, too? ;-)

Miss Scarlet said...

Harhar;)

Did you get the new Thom Yorke? I wanted to but Muse ended up being $13.99 so I passed (for now.)


OMG MUSE IS SO GOOOOOD!

Anonymous said...

Muse is 9.99 at Best Buy. I'm not sure about them. I wasn't a huge fan of the last cd. Maybe I'll add to my Brit Pop mix.

I subscribe to emusic and that keeps my music buying way down. I recommend highly.

Miss Scarlet said...

Usually I would wait and go to Best Buy but I needed it NOW and a Best Buy trip would have taken too long.

What is emusic?

I LOVE MUSE!!!!! And what else is on your brit pop mix? I have one, too:)

Anonymous said...

Have you tried CD Buyers Anonymous?

Unknown said...

Everyone needs at least one addiction.

CBK said...

I listened to Muse on AOL Music. I haven't heard the new Thom Yorke (and am not likely to).

Anonymous said...

My Brit pop list is huge - What I do is put full albums in, and then rate them as I listen, and the best songs dump out into a best of list. A lot of Pulp, Radiohead (my favorite), Oasis, Keane, Morrissey, James, Travis (another fave), Elbow (yet another fave), Snow Patrol, South, Starsailor, Coldplay.

Emusic is a subscription service. Mostly independent artists, but if you're into music it's a great deal. Starts at $9.99 per month for 40 MP3 downloads.

If you go to my old blog - arubberdoor.blogspot.com and click on the banner, I would get credit and you could sign up for a free trial of 50 downloads. (you have to give a credit card, but you can quit before you're ever charged)

Miss Scarlet said...

Neil- I think I need it.

Flameon- Problem is, I think I have more than one.

CBK- The single released so far sounds just like Radiohead so I'm wondering what the rest sounds like.

Spencer- I can't sign up right now but it sounds cool and I'm sure I'll do it in the future! I'm wicked poor right now. love the Brit Pop bands!

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I fell like I have gone without for so long but the money is still not in my account. It's like all that sacrifice for what? I just read your Muse review and (embarassingly) have never heard of them. I do love Keane so much, though and just for that may need to buy.