Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance: 18 Dance

Top 18:

Somehow the past week FLEW by because I never recapped the second half of last week's show even though it feels like it was just a couple of days ago. I still will, I promise!


Top 18 Dance:

"How It's Done" by Distric 78

Choreographed by Academy of Villains

Whoa, LOVE the chess set up! This dance is great, but a little bit is getting lost with there being so many dancers, but I guess that's going to continue to be the case for a couple more weeks.

Results time! It's awkward since I'm not even sure who got kicked off last week. So, in danger: Bridget, Emilio, Emily, Stanley, Jordyn, and Teddy

Zack and Jacque dancing hip hop:

"Stay With me" by Sam Smith

Choreographed by Keone and Mari Madrid

 This should get votes because of the song. It's so popular. I love the floor work so far. I love how intimate this dance is even though it's hip hop. I think they did a great job with combining the super precise moments with the fluid ones. I never felt like they were just counting beats. Great start!


Marcquet and Jordyn dancing contemporary:

"Disappear" by Mikky Ekko

Choreographed by Dee Caspary

Beautiful opening shot! Jordyn is so clearly a ballerina as her feet are never not pointed and she hits some amazing positions (as in, she doesn't just land, she lands in second.) I am not sure I liked the music for this one as it was cut off in a weird spot, but I liked the dancing. I actually agree with Nigel that I didn't connect with them very much.



Jessica and Stanley dancing jazz:

"Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter" by Nikka Costa

Choregraphed by Tyce DiOrio

Okay, so this is their first week together. Love the concept of them being on a flying carpet. This was funky and I liked it! I liked the little moments of movements they had in there. Very cool! (I think I also need to note that nothing is blowing me away tonight. No catastrophes, but nothing crazy wild cool just yet.)

Bridget and Emilio dancing the jive:

"Happy" by Pharrell Williams

Choreogaphed by Anya and Pasha

Perfect song for a jive! This is so bouncy and cute! I thought this jive was so good! The choreography was amazing and kept me interesting the entire time. Their costumes were great, too.

Emily and Teddy dancing contemporary:

"Ne Me Quitte Pas" by Nina Simone

Choreographed by Tyce DiOrio

Mmmm beautiful beginning and music! Lots of emotion in this one. Wow, I like it! I wasn't sure if Tyce was going to pull it off, but man, he did! Sometimes when he does contemporary routines, it feels too much like broadway, but I liked this a lot. Very emotional piece. I love when Misty says that Emily dances French:)

Casey and Brooklyn dancing jazz:

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Michael Buble

Choreographed by Bonnie Story

Wowza, Casey can spin! This is a cute piece, but it doesn't feel very jazz to me. It's probably the music and costumes doing that. This has a lot of great movements, but all around, it wasn't a total favorite. It felt a little bit too danced at times as opposed to the ones where it feels more like something being felt (does that make sense?).

Ricky and Valerie dancing Viennese Waltz:

"I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz

Choreographed by Lacey Schwimmer

Gorgeous costumes! Looks a little weird with all that fabric coming through his legs, though. This is a fast waltz, which is usually good as long as it doesn't feel frantic. I think they did a good job, but at times it definitely felt like a performance and lacked some emotion. Loved the actual dance, though. Good job. Ricky is really good. Like, really really good.

Serge and Carly dancing hip hop:

"Senile" by Young Money

Choreographed by Luther Brown

I couldn't even type during that because I loved it so much. Nigel is crazy-this is awesome and I so want to go vote for them!!!!

Rudy and Tanisha dancing broadway:

"Sing Sing Sing" from Fosse

Choreographed by Warren Carlyle

Great outfits, once again! Holy crap! This routine was insane! I'm so impressed that they pulled it off. They had a couple of moments that were off in synchronization, but man, who can blame them!? So so good. And so so fast! Mary is right, this was a showstopper.

Okay, time for someone to get kicked off the show...

Ooof, and they're going with America's vote: Stanley and Jordyn. Bye Bye!

Okay, until next week!

No comments: