Pages

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance! 20 Perform, 2 Eliminated (Part 1)

So, I have to watch tonight's episode in two parts so I figured I'd blog about it in two parts, too. Let's go!



Top 20 Dance:

"New York, New York" from On The Town

Choreographed by Josh Bergasse

I was just meh on this until we got to see some really great solo spots! Also, love the costumes. I can't pick out anyone from the Top 20 just yet. I don't know any of their names!

Intros:

Holy crap, they're not doing "Here are the girls...and here are your guys!" YAY!

So I guess the set up is similar to last year where they announce who is in trouble, they still dance, and then they kick two people off at the end?

I have to admit that while Nigel talks, I stop paying attention sometimes. I have no idea what he was talking about when he referenced the Brazil World Cup game.

Bottom Six:
Brooklyn, Casey, Jordyn, Nick, Marlena, Serg


Rudy and Tanisha dancing jazz:

"You Need" by Bengsons

Choreographed by Sonja Tayeh

OOoh, this has a lot of cool movement in it! It's classic Sonja, but not in the way where I feel like she is just recycling old moves. Also, Tanisha is really showing a different side of her and is also hitting her spots really hard! Nice. Just a reminder that she is a ballroom girl, right? 

Valerie and Ricky dancing contemporary:

"Oh Darling" by Grossling

Choreographed by Travis Wall

Honestly, no one should get kicked off after a Travis Wall routine. They're that good. I think Travis excels at choreographing pieces that have a climax- a moment where the music swells and the audience is totally swept up into the piece. I really liked this dance. I'm impressed that she is a tapper! She was so fluid. This was a very strong piece in the literal sense. I loved all of the movements where they held one another up.

Emilio and Bridget dancing hip hop:

"Work" by Iggy Azalea

Choreographed  Luther Brown

I like this. I don't really have much to say, but it was quite entertaining and both dancers seemed just perfect in the routine. I kind of hate Emilio's outfit, but Bridget's was perfect so I guess that cancels out. Good job!

Jessica and Nick dancing west coast swing:

"Respect" by Aretha Franklin

Choreographed by Benji Schwimmer

So wait, what happened to her shoulder? I have to say that I do NOT like Benji so I go into this dance expecting not to like it. The beginning seemed like they were just walking through the steps instead of dancing them. I kind of hate it. I feel bad for this couple for getting such a crappy routine. (I wonder if the judges will agree with me!) (And...they don't. How disappointing.)

Serge and Carly dancing contemporary:

"Latch" by Sam Smith

Choreographed by Sonja Tayeh

LOVE her dress. I like this a lot, but so far it's not "profoundly moving" like Sonja promised. Oooh, the end is lovely, though. This was good! I like this couple. I have a feeling it was probably way more moving in person. I think maybe the intro messed this up for me because it kind of got my expectations too high.

Okay, Part One is done! What did you think???


No comments: